When looking for ways to utilize the leftover almond pulp from homemade almond milk, I knew that I wanted to create a snack that was energy packed and full of nutrients!
And alas, the Almond Energy Bites were born! They are quick, easy to make, super tasty, healthy, and give you tons of energy for the day! They really are the perfect snack or on-the-go breakfast when you need an extra boost of energy.
In fact, whenever I’m in a rush to leave for work, I grab two of these bites to-go and they seem to sustain me for the same amount of time as a bowl of oatmeal does.
Almond Energy Bites
- 1 cup almond “pulp” (can substitute for ground flaxseed)
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl
- Wet your fingers with water and grab about 2 Tbsp of the mixture and roll into a 1 1/2″ ball
- Once all of the balls are formed, put them in a container and store in the freezer for at least 4 hours
- Once the 4 hours are up, you can either choose to leave them in the freezer or place them in the refrigerator
Although this recipe is intended for using the leftover almond pulp from making your own almond milk, that may not be totally necessary for this recipe. Simply swap the almond pulp with some ground flaxseed and you should be good to go!
As for proper storage, I personally like keeping them in the freezer. They last longer and retain their shape better.
I chose to keep the maca powder optional because most people don’t normally have this around. Also, it adds a more earthy flavor to these bites that some may not enjoy as much, but try it out if you’re curious and let me know what you think!
So, there you have it! The perfect snack to make when wanting to use up your leftover almond pulp. Of course, if you don’t have almond pulp, you can use ground flaxseed. I haven’t tried the flaxseed with this recipe yet, but it has the same consistency as the almonds and should work just the same.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what ya think!